Saturday, October 11, 2014

For he had Great Possessions










As we drive down the busy streets of Virginia it seems that there is a never ending stream of cars trying to get from one destination to another. So many busy people going so many different places. I've seen more mustangs, porches, corvettes, ect. the past year, than I had seen the first 19 years of my life. Looking at the expensive cars is very exciting and sometimes I dream about how cool it would be to have a car like that. The cars are so shiny, fast, sparkly, and just seem like they would bring some joy into people's lives. As we continue to drive down the street I see something else that is pretty regular occurrence. It looks like this........
          

In an instant that shiny expensive car is of little worth. People are saddened as they see there pride and joy slowly loaded onto a tow truck and carefully hauled away. As I have seen this type of situation happen over and over, I'm reminded of a story from the Bible.
 
A rich young ruler comes to Christ and asks what he needs to do in order to obtain eternal life. Jesus answers and goes through some of the commandments. The young man says that he does all of these things. Christ then says. " If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." I think that sounds like an amazing opportunity. Christ told this young man exactly what he needed to do in order to have eternal life and not only that but to have treasure in heaven. It is interesting how the young man responds. In Mathew 19:22 it says, " but when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."




As I first read this story I couldn't help but pass judgment on this young man. In my head I was thinking, the rich young man asked a specific question and got an amazing answer. Christ told him what he needed to do and not only that but he told him some of the blessings that would come from it as well. I was baffled at why the young man would pass up such an opportunity, but as I took a step back I realized that we all have more in common with the rich young ruler than I thought.

Life is constantly competing for our attention. We sometimes base our happiness on things that are of temporal worth and value. We may be living a great life just as the young ruler. We are keeping the commandments and wanting to improve, but are we willing to "sell all that we have?" I hope we will all examine our lives and think of things we can give up in order to find eternal happiness and heed the Saviors invitation to "Come follow me."


















No comments:

Post a Comment